The cover letter allows you to target the job and the employer in a very specific way, leaving the resume to market your skills, qualities and experience as a part of the bigger picture. … You will also need to include the unique skills and the qualities you bring to that job and the company.
A cover letter should contain three main sections:
- Identify the position for which you are applying.
- State how you learned of the position and why you are interested in the position or organization.
- Summarize why you are a strong candidate for the position.
- Target the job description and specifically discuss how your skills relate to the job requirements.
- Highlight one or two of your accomplishments or abilities that show you are an excellent candidate for the position.
- Detail positive characteristics and past experiences that illustrate how your qualifications will benefit the organization.
- Thank the person for considering your résumé and offer to provide additional information.
- Include your phone number and when you can be reached.
Do you need more help?
If all of this sounds positive but a little bit overwhelming, don’t worry.
We have the author of a unique series of job search guides designed for those job seekers who want to kick their job search into a new gear and take control of their careers.
“Our comprehensive Career Solutions Packages provide 360° professional branding to help you gain the competitive EDGE and position you well for your next job”
Go to our section “Career Solution Guide” for more info